OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The mission of WHO's Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to build the capacity of Member States to manage health emergency risks and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain outbreaks and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations.
The Department of Infectious Hazard Management (IHM) supports countries in prevention and control of high threat diseases of pandemic & epidemic potential through forecasting, characterization of diseases / infectious risks and development of evidence-
based strategies to manage infectious hazards.
The Unit of Expert Networks & Interventions (ENI) builds on a set of technical assets to ensure access to knowledge and life-
saving interventions to address any emerging pathogens. It includes but is not limited to
i) managing expert networks to rapidly characterise the threats and define mitigation measures,
ii) facilitating the production of high quality, evidence-based guidance, its dissemination to affected countries, and the transfer of knowledge to implementing partners and
iii) ensuring the availability of life-saving interventions (vaccine, treatments and diagnostic) during emergencies due to infectious hazards.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Within the framework of the delegated authority, the incumbent is assigned all or part of the following responsibilities :
1. Provide technical expertise and support in the coordination and management of the Emerging Disease Clinical Assessment and Response Network (EDCARN) and implementation of its projects.
2. Responsible for the EDCARN information management and dissemination, including provision of regular information of members, communication of the activities of the network and management of related databases.
3. Coordinate activities related to clinical network meetings, prepare relevant technical background documents, and ensure follow up of meetings recommendations.
4. Coordinate and liaise with related WHO programmes for development of community mitigation guidance.
5. Provide crucial technical specialist input and support to the implementation and operations response of outbreaks with a clinical management and IPC components.
6. Steer the real time monitoring of capacity building efforts for the clinical management and protection of health workers in countries with regional offices.
7. Provide high-level technical support to the coordination of clinical response during outbreaks together with GOARN and partners.
8. Welcome opportunities to support multi-disciplinary, cross-cutting approaches to work and is required to facilitate participation in such approaches.
9. Perform other related duties including replacing and backstopping duties as assigned.
Essential : Advanced level university degree in medicine with postgraduate degree in public health or related field.
Desirable : PhD in public health or medicine.
Essential : At least 7 years of national and international experience in public health. Experience in infectious disease control.
Experience in managing projects with multiple partners.
Desirable : Field experience in developing countries. Field experience in pandemic planning or response. Experience of working in health projects of WHO or other UN agencies.
Experience in developing analytical framework to address complex issues (e.g. matrix to evaluate projects, protocols for risk assessment).
Skills in facilitation of processes involving multiple partners.
Proven ability to review, analyze, and use data to write technical papers on complex issues such as non-pharmaceutical interventions during pandemics or epidemics or recommendations for vaccine use.
Strong analytical skills.
Extensive knowledge and skills in applied public health, particularly in the field of infectious diseases.
Excellent interpersonal skills.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Setting an example
Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Use of Language Skills
Essential : Expert knowledge of English.
Desirable : Intermediate knowledge of French.