Entreprise : This position is located within the Collection, Analysis and Sharing Section (CASS) of the International, Impartial and Independent Mechanism to assist in the Investigation and Prosecution of Persons Responsible for the Most Serious Crimes under International Law Committed in the Syrian Arab Republic since March 2011 (IIIM).
The incumbent is coordinating the collection activities of the Section under the overall direction of the Head of the IIIM and the direct supervision of the Deputy Head of the IIIM (Deputy Head).
Description du poste : Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties : 1) Prepares or coordinates actions with the Chief of Collection, Analysis and Sharing Section.
Assists in fulfilling his or her supervisory functions and provides legal direction and investigative recommendations; 2) Provides legal and policy advice on the preparation of files and on sharing material with investigative and prosecuting authorities;
3) Assesses whether the evidence collected proves the elements of the offences considered, and meets other legal requirements, such as admissibility and reliability;
4) Together with the other Legal Officer, oversees the legal work of the section, including the preparation of files, and independently handles a wide range of multidisciplinary and complex legal matters;
5) Coordinates and directs the work of other legal officers, analysts and investigators dealing with significant issues as required, and supervises the work of junior officers generally, as well as on specific projects;
6) Prepares and / or supervises the preparation of legal documents to be shared with national authorities; 7) Under the guidance of the Chief of AFPS, provides legal advice to the Head and staff of the IIIM on diverse substantive and procedural legal issues of international and domestic criminal law, which can include questions of considerable complexity and those related to policy and diplomatic matters;
8) Attends in-house briefings, plans meetings and renders advice as necessary; 9) Assesses the need to further the investigation.
Identifies avenues of investigation and conducts interviews of witnesses and suspects; 10) Performs extensive legal research and analysis and prepares legal opinions, briefs, reports and correspondence;
and 11) Performs other assignments as requested by the Chief of Collection, Analysis and Sharing Section. Description du profil : PROFESSIONALISM : Sound knowledge of international legal procedures and instruments, including international criminal law, with a particular emphasis on the legal practice of the international criminal tribunals.
Sound knowledge of the functioning of criminal investigations and prosecutions at the national and international levels and experience in ligation.
Ability to apply legal expertise to analyzing a diverse range of complex issues and in developing innovative solutions.
Strong analytical skills and proficiency in legal writing and expression and ability to prepare legal documents.
Ability to work well in a multicultural environment.
Ability to work to tight deadlines and to handle multiple concurrent projects.
Good computer skills and ability to use relevant software applications and online legal research tools.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION : Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. TEAMWORK : Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda;
supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.